Antifreeze smell

smokinone

I don't know if this is the place to post this, but after reading about the issue on another forum that I'm too new to post on, I will raise questions here.
I just bought a new 2012 Cruze yesterday before reading about this issue. I have about 100 miles on the car and have no real long drives to see if I have the issue. Living in the desert of southern Nevada coolant is pretty important. I'm really scared now as it seems Chevy doesn't seem to want to address the problem. I had questions about the Sonic having the same problems as they use the same power plant, and does this only affect turbo models as I purchased a 1LT package vehicle.
Is this a 2011 issue or all years (both of them) having the problems. I thought this was an established motor, 1.4 turbo, and thus are all vehicles with this powerplant world wide having the issues.
I got rid of my Jetta diesel as it was too costly to keep it repaired as far as cam, dual mass flywheel, EGR cooler repeat repairs and on and on. Now it seems I've traded one POS for another.
I really like the lines, ride, and convieniences of the Cruze but man o man, can't any car companies get it together?

70AARCUDA

Seems to be a problem with both 2011 and 2012 Cruzes, but (so far) no Sonic owners have reported having this problem.

There seem to be three suspect areas: (1) leaking thermostat housing (under hood), (2) overflowing coolant tank (under hood), and (3) leaking heater core (in cabin).

Problem #3 gets to people most often because the coolant vapor fumes are greatest inside the cabin...often manifesting their presence with a hazing "film" accumulating on the inside of the windshield, especially when the defroster is used.

With our LTZ, it was a leaking thermostat "housing" accompanied by both a slight coolant "smell" and a "puddle" of fluid under the car. Once repaired, the problem has not (yet) re-appeared. Others report not being so lucky...reporting lingering coolant smell after heater core or heater hose replacements, which might be residual coolant still being resident in the footwell carpeting.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.