Go Back   Chevy Cruze Forum - Chevrolet Cruze > Chevy Cruze General Information > Cruze Cleaning and Detailing

Cruze Cleaning and Detailing

Tire Shine

This is a discussion onTire Shine within the Cruze Cleaning and Detailing forums, part of the Chevy Cruze General Information category!
Within last five years or so I have been using Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Coating and love the results. It ...

Discuss proper detailing tips and tricks to keep your Cruze looking like new!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Default Tire Shine

Within last five years or so I have been using Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Coating and love the results. It comes in a 15 oz. aerosol can and is applied like spray paint. Application is nice and does not run. Once applied, I go over the wheel with a dry shop towel to remove any overspray. The Hot Shine sticks to the tire and resists slinging very well and the longer it's left to cure, before driving, the more it will resist slinging. Black paint tends to show this fairly easily and I've been getting practically no sling onto my black Monte Carlo. One application of Hot Shine will holds its shine for quite a while.

I'm not a fan of foam tire shine because, well, it just tends to be a pain. When applied, it runs and has a lot of excess that needs to be wiped down from both the tire and wheel. The foam also slings off the tires and down the side of the vehicle quite a bit. It generally loses it's shine relatively quickly.

I'm also not a fan of gel, applied with an applicator, because it usually can't get down into the grooves and features of the tire's sidewall.

Recommendations:
  • Don't apply a spray tire shine in any wind because the wind can carry the overspray all over the vehicle's paint. If it is windy, move the car into a garage or other sheltered area.
  • Apply in one motion at a continuous speed, like you're applying spray paint because that's basically what it is. I usually do the top half of the tire and then the bottom half, applying in half circular, arched motions.
Other products or recommendations are welcome.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS
06mistreSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

Nice write up!

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
1970˝ Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula·S 383 4M
1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula·S 273 4M
70AARCUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #3

Thanks!

I've been detailing for well over fifteen years now. I've been doing my own personal vehicles for eight years and had my own business, by myself doing client vehicles, two summers ago. I've learned my fair share during that period, mostly just from learning tricks on my own.

IMO tire shine is right up at the top in making a vehicle stand out. The product of choice and its application can make or break a vehicle. I've got numerous compliments on my Monte Carlo, at car shows and other places, with the Meguiar's Hot Shine and I recommend it.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS
06mistreSS is offline   Reply With Quote